Common Questions


  1. What is the “Asylarbeitskreis”?

    We are an NGO (non-governmental organization) made up of volunteers. Our goal is to support refugees in Heidelberg and ease their transition into a new life in our city.


  2. What are the options for taking German classes?

    German classes are offered regularly free of charge in the housing accomodations. The dates and times are listed on the entrance to the common room (“Aufenthaltsraum”). You can also call our office (06221-182797) or stop by in person (address: Plöck 101) to ask.

    In addition, vouchers for German classes at the local Volkshochschule (an institution that offers classes for all adults, regardless of educational status) are available both in our office and directly at the Volkshochschule.


  3. Where can I go for advice and general questions?

    In our office, we can refer you to one of our volunteers who may be able to help with your specific situation (for example, extra help on your children’s schoolwork).

    The following organizations are also ready to help:

    - Caritas:

    Peter Moskob, office hours in Hardtstraße

    Tuesdays, 9 AM – 1 PM

    Thursdays, 9 AM – 1 PM and 2– 5 PM, phone: 06221 - 7278191,

    - Diakonie:

    Sarah Reuther, office hours in Karl-Ludwig Str. 6, phone: 06221 537557

    Tuesdays and Fridays 10 AM – 12 PM

    Thursdays 3 – 5 PM (please make an appointment ahead of time)


  4. Where can I receive free legal advice?

    Together with the organization Diakonisches Werk, we are able to provide free legal advice by Berthold Mönch, a local attorney. You can get his contact details from the Diakonisches Werk.

    For the “Erstanhörung”, the interview where you will present your situation and your request for asylum in Germany, there are special free counseling sessions offered once a week on Wednesdays, 6 PM – 9 PM in Plöck 101, Heidelberg. The sessions are organized by “Pro Bono”, a volunteer organization of Heidelberg law students. Website:


  5. Is my educational degree / job qualification valid in Germany?

    Contact the Interkulturelles Bildungszentrum (intercultural center for education) in Mannheim for information and guidance:

    Phone: 0621 437 73 113 (Maryam Shariat-Razavi, Aicha Berth)


  6. I need medical treatment. How does this work?

    Asylum seekers receive medical aid according to a German law called “Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz.” The Sozialamt (welfare office) will provide you with vouchers, which you can give to your doctor.


  7. My child is struggling in school. Is there any support or assistance available?

    Yes. We can refer you to volunteers who provide free tutoring or homework help in various subjects. We can also help if you would like a translator/interpreter for a parent-teacher conference.


  8. Where and how can I find clothing?

    -We distribute free clothing twice a week in the Kleiderkammer (clothing bank) at Henkel-Tereosonstraße. Here, you can make an appointment and obtain free clothing. Opening hours.

    -The organization “Caritas” operates a Kleiderkammer.

    -The organization “Kinderschutzbund,” an organization dedicated to helping children, operates a Kleiderkammer at Theaterstraße 11, Heidelberg-Altstadt. Opening hours: Tuesdays 5 – 7 PM, Wednesdays 10 – 2 PM, and Thursdays 2:30 – 4:30 PM.


  9. I need help writing an official document in German.

    We (Asylarbeitskreis) as well as the organizations Caritas and Diakonisches Werk can help you. Please contact us for assistance.


  10. What kind of recreational activities are available?

    Contact us for informational about local sport clubs, youth camps, and children’s playgroups. We also organize trips and annual festivals in the accommodations, about which we will inform you once the dates are set.

    The hours for the children’s playgroups can be found on the door to the common room (“Aufenthaltsraum.”)


Druckversion | Sitemap
© Asylarbeitskreis Heidelberg e.V.